Sunday, January 2, 2011

Winding Down ....

Today is our last day of 'vacation'.  I have to take the boys back to Camp Shelby this afternoon.  They will continue their out-processing, and then be bussed to their home armory in Demopolis early Thursday morning.  The ceremony is scheduled for 11am.

Yesterday was not a good day for the BoyChild.  Well, the first half of it anyway.  I kept calling down to their room and finally got him to answer about 11am.  He said he'd get up, get a shower and we'd go get some lunch.  About noon Rick called my room and said, "I need some help.  I cant get him out of the bed".  So I went down, got him awake, got him some ice and something to drink so he could get the cottonballs out of his mouth, and finally got him sitting up.  He didnt get sick, but he said he thought he'd feel better if he had.

Got him up and moving and headed toward the shower and came back to my room.  About 1pm we headed out to CiCi's Pizza.  They have a great buffet for $4.99.  I knew BoyChild wasnt gonna eat much so that was the cheapest thing for him 'not' to eat.  Rick and I more than got our money's worth though.

Then they wanted to go to the mall.  Both wanted a new pair of jeans.  So off we went.  Rick wanted shoes too, but the ones he wanted weren't in stock in his size.  They both finally found jeans at JC Penney's, and BoyChild got a hat at Hibbett's.  I dont have a pic of it yet.  It's a grey and black plaid Alabama hat.

I also got a new purse.  To match the last pair of boots I bought in Nashville this past October.

Later, we went to Longhorn again for dinner.  BoyChild was able to eat most of his.  Then, they wanted to go back to Roper's.  I said ok, but no way are we staying til 2am again!  We went there about 8pm and by 9pm they were ready to come back to the hotel.  Let's just say it wasnt nearly as lively last night as it was the previous night (and neither were the boys).  They had a couple of beers and we came back to the room.  I think we all turned in pretty early.  I turned the light out about 10pm, and slept pretty well considering I've had a cold or something all week and cant breathe and have coughing fits.  The coughing was at a minimum last night though.

This morning we went down to the 'continental' breakfast about 7am and now we are back our rooms, showering, packing and just generally 'chilling out'.  We have to check out at noon, and we'll go get some lunch, maybe walk around a different mall for a bit, then I'll probably take them back out to the post about 4pm.  They dont have to be back til 6pm, but getting them back early is never a bad idea, and I'd like to get on the road home before too late.

It's been a good weekend.  I know it was not what any of them wanted, three extra days of nothing-ness that could have been used for processing had it not been for the holiday (especially for those who's families couldnt come down this weekend) but I've enjoyed the one on one time with BoyChild and Rick.  Once he gets home Thursday I may not see him for a week because his friends will be clamoring for his time.  There are already a couple of welcome home parties scheduled for him.  He'll spend a couple of hours Thursday when we get home with my mom and dad, and then he'll be a busy little beaver for sure.

Last night at dinner I couldnt help but laugh at them sitting there playing with their new phones.  I guess it's not just a 'teen thing' or 'girl thing' any more.  ;-)



In fact, yesterday in the mall I went to the ladies room and as we (a lot of us) were going down the hallway and turning into the respective restrooms, one guy was on his phone just a jabbering and was headed into the ladies room when his (approximately 4 yr old)  son grabbed his shirttail and said "Dad, this way!"  

My new purse.


So, now  I have to finish packing so the boys can start loading up the car soon.  It's been a good weekend.  I am very blessed.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Boy Child definitely rang in the New Year!!
    And the next day as well ;-(
    So glad that all of you had a good weekend together!
    Tell Justin and his buddies welcome home from all of us and that we all appreciate the sacrifices that they make for all of us here at home by helping to keep us safe and free!! We are the blessed ones !!!!

    By the way, love the purse. :) have a safe trip home this afternoon.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete