Friday, September 30, 2011

What A Week!! (Part One)

In my last post I said ...... I will try to remember to take pictures as I'm working on it so you can get a feel for my stress level (which is very low now but will probably increase drastically as I remember all the things I'm currently forgetting).  LOL.  Well ... the stress level was high, but there are no pics.  Here is the story .........

A lot (a whole lot) has happened since I last posted.  You might want to get a cup of coffee, or a glass of wine or something before you start reading.  :-)

Last week we were getting some new software at work (well, an updated version of our current software).  So we had two days of training scheduled to get comfortable with the changes.  This was to take place Wednesday and Thursday.  So, Tuesday afternoon they (the IT / GIS guy and a tech) confiscated our computers to load the new software.  That left us pretty much dead in the water.  So I took a couple hours of comp time and BabyGurl and I went to get our nails did for BoyChild's wedding.  Tuesday afternoon was actually a fairly productive time as we also picked up a few of the items I still needed for the rehearsal dinner on Friday.

Wednesday is when it started getting hairy.  Our computers were being set up in a conference room in a facility about a mile from our office so we could all be in the same room (with training materials, overhead projectors, instructors etc).  We were to report directly to that facility Wednesday morning because the IT guy was setting our computers up Tuesday afternoon.  As my good buddy / songwriter Wynn Varble says in a song ..... "yeah, right" <insert sinister chuckle here>

I arrived about 7:40 Wednesday morning (because arriving early is what I do).  No one was there.  So at 7:55 our IT person in charge of this project arrived and went in.  I was getting out of the car and heading in when he came back out and left again.  Not a good sign.  I went on in.  Others arrived.  Our computers were not set up.  In fact, they were still in our office a mile away.  Finally the techs arrived with them.  We were asked to "wait outside" while they set them up.

At 9:15 we began with the first item on our agenda.  The item that was scheduled for 8:00am.  Yeah.  That was pretty much the theme for the day.

On my way home Wednesday afternoon BabyBrother called and said to come to Mom's.  He was there, and she was sick.  Bad sick.  My dad was at work.  He only works one day a week.  We called and told him to lock up shop and come home.  We called 911 and got Mom a ride to the ER.

After much blood work (they drew blood three times) and a CT scan and xrays, they determined she had a severe gastric infection.  Normal white count is 8 to 12.  Hers was 30.  This all took until after 10pm.  Once the dr made a diagnosis and signed the paperwork to admit her it took FOUR more hours to get her into a room.  The ER response was great, the transfer process sucked.  However, after we got her to a room everything was great again.  There is a big black hole between the ER and the admission process.  we finally left the hospital a little after 2am.  Sheesh!!  (At least Mom was feeling well enough by then to keep telling us to go home!)

So Thursday morning I woke at about 7am.  I usually get up aboug 615 but I reset my clock before going to bed at 3am, knowing full well training would not start on time.  I still managed to arrive right at 8am.  We got started about 815 I think.  Not too bad.

The morning progressed pretty well.  At the 10:00 break I told my boss I wanted to cut out at the lunch break if that was ok and he said sure.  By 11:00 I'd had all the fun I could stand so I slipped out the back.  I was pretty much dead on my feet and I still had wedding stuff to do.

BabyGurl and I went to see Mom, then had a late lunch (2:00pm) at Ruby Tuesdays.  Then we went to WalMart and Winn Dixie picking up the last minute things we needed.  (Still had to go to WD Friday to pick up the chicken platters they were cooking for us).

Came home did a few household chores and got ready for The Gabster invasion.  She stays with Ma and Pa most of the time, so this weekend she was ours.  Wasn't exactly planning on that since I had wedding preparations, but The Gabster is always welcome.  Like Mary Tyler Moore, she can turn the world on with her smile.  :-)

She arrived about 7pm, (she'd been to dinner with her Mom) so I got her washed and ready for bed, and got her a bedtime snack (milk and granola bar, her favorites).  So by 8pm she's in bed and asleep before 830.  About 9pm BabyGurl and I headed to bed ........... that didn't last long.

To be cont'd.

(I will go ahead and let you know Ma got out of the hospital Friday morning and is doing well; completely recovered.)

1 comment: