Last Tuesday night I went to his cd release party at The Bluebird Cafe in Nashville.
I haven't been to Nashville in over four months and it was way past time for a trip. I had been sick with a sinus infection for over a week. In fact that very morning I had gone to the doctor and gotten two shots and two prescriptions. I knew I would be "good to go" that night thanks to a steroid shot which typically keeps me awake for at least two days.
For days I'd been sniffling and blowing and coughing and wheezing and .... well, just being gross. I was wearing the Neti-Pot out. But Tuesday afternoon when I left work, I started feeling better. And the closer to Nashville I got, the better and more energetic I felt. The air was electric. Nashville is my crack. No matter how long I go without it, just one 'whiff' and I'm hooked again.
I rolled into the parking lot at the Bluebird about 830. The show was scheduled to start at 900. I paid my cover, and went to my seat (I'm a regular, they dont even have to escort me to my seat any more). I ordered my food/drink and began my people watching. I began recognizing some of the folks as they came in. Band members, friends, celebrity guests, and regulars.
About 905 I was texting Lachelle, that typical Nashville, they were not starting on time. However, it was a legit problem as they were trying to get Brian's amp working. Finally Tommy Mac made and executive decision about 910 and they began the show while Brian was putting things back together on his amp.
Amazing show ..... as always. Lots of new songs I haven't heard before, and lots of great old favorites. I made a few videos, which I've put into a montage, and then a couple extra songs with guest vocalist Wendy Moten, and guest guitarist Gary Nicholson. Wendy sang backup on Buddy Guy's most recent album and Tuesday night she sang backup with Tom on two of the songs from that album, Living Proof and Skin Deep. Skin Deep is an amazing song. I've heard it on Buddy's album, and I've heard Tom do it acoustically at various events, but Tuesday night with Gary and Wendy singing backup was absolutely the best version yet.
First up, I'll give you a little montage of song clips that I was taping and texting to BabyGurl since she had to work. Bless her little heart. She texted back after about the third clip and said her workmate said it was almost like being there. :-)
First video ..... a little montage ...... call it a teaser for the new cd if you will .....
Next up .... with guest guitarist (and co-writer) Gary Nicholson, and the amazing vocals of Wendy Moten, on the song Skin Deep.
Of course you have to remember, I'm not a videographer, I'm just a girl with an iPhone who loves music and wants to share the talents of my Nashville friends, with all my friends. So enjoy this rendition of Living Proof, again with Wendy Moten.
Now, to reiterate how much I love being in Nashville and what a tonic it is for me ..... as good as I felt, and as energized as I was ..... as it intensified the closer I got to Nashville .....
The same thing happened in reverse as I left town .... just outside the city limits my nose began to run. When I stopped for coffee I stocked up on napkins to blow my nose all the way home. My eyes were burning and watering ..... the sinus infection raged and the allergies attacked. I almost turned around at the state line and headed back north. Seriously.
I'll leave you with a few pics from the night.
BabyGurl's favorite guitar player ..... Steve C. An amazing talent who has toured with many award winning bands (VanZant, Lynyrd Skynrd, and of course Tom Hambridge and the Rattlesnakes)
The incomparable Tom Hambridge. There's too many accolades to list. Check out his website.
Tom, and bass player Tommy MacDonald. TMac tours with David Lee Murphy, Jimmy Wayne, and many others. And he has a smile that lights up a room like no other.
Tom, TMac, and Brian Love.
Gary Nicholson, singer, songwriter, guitar player. Extraordinaire.
So ... c'mon, go with me next time. You know you want to. :-)






No comments:
Post a Comment