Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This 'n' That ...

Lots of things to update you on.  And even though it's WAY past my bedtime, I'll update you because I cant sleep.

All about me:

Had to go back to the Dr today, and they just swear by those cortisone shots.  And they do seem to set you on a quicker road to recovery, but they keep me awake for about 36 hours.  They also gave me some cough medicine with hydrocodone in it, so I'm hoping that will offset some of the sleeplessness from the shot.  So far, no luck.  However, I am not coughing!

As much as I hate to waste time at the Dr's office I have to say today's trip was highlighted by the look on the Dr's face when he was asking about my symptoms.  After a quick rundown, he asked what bothered me the worst.  I said my ears.  He said 'do they hurt?' and I said 'no, they itch, and they feel like they have water trickling in them and down my nasal passages to the back of my throat.'  I said 'it makes me want to take a pipe cleaner and just ream them out real good'.  Well, the look on his face was priceless, because I think for one split second he wondered if I was serious.  Then he just chuckled.

One good thing about this Dr office -- it has a pharmacy right in the lobby.  One stop shopping.  Really convenient.

So, since the Dr office is next to my least favorite place to shop ... yeah, I went to WalMart.  But I quickly got some Zyrtec (Equate brand of course!) and my glucosamine chondroitin (for my achy knees), and stocked up on frozen dinners (lunches) and steam in the bag frozen veggies.  I almost overdid it (in an effort not to have to go back any time soon) and my freezer is crammed full.  But if we get snowed/iced in anytime soon, I wont go hungry!

All about BabyGurl:

She has now attended one session of all her classes for this semester.  She has four classes on T-Th, and one on M-W-F.   She is loving her classes, especially since she has two history classes.  Also an English class (literature I think), and art appreciation class and .... I forget what else.  Hopefully she will blog soon about it and I will link you up to her blog then.  She is very excited, though still a little nervous about the whole college studying in general.  I hope her enthusiasm wins out over her nervousness.  She likes all her teachers (uhm, professors?).  Soon she will get to know some of the other students and hopefully have some study buddies she can call on if she gets stuck on something.  At 26, she is the oldest in most of her classes.

She will also be holding down her full-time job and keeping as close to 40 hours a week as she can, so this is gonna be a challenge for her, but one I know she can handle.

All about BoyChild:

He is still enjoying his time off before he has to go back to his full time job near the end of this month.  He's done a lot of little 'chores' that needed to be taken care of (tires on his car, they were threadbare), a few odds and ends at his house (couple of plumbing issues, bought a new dryer, cleaned up after a year of it being vacant, etc).  He's also spent a good deal of time with various friends, just catching up on being home and everyone's life.

He says the times he really has realized how long he was gone was whe he saw The Gabster and saw how much she'd grown.  Also his friends and next door neighbors have a little boy 'W' that will be a year old the end of this month.  We were in NYC when 'W' was born, then BoyChild got to see him when he was home for R&R in July, then didnt get to see him again until he was almost a year old.

It gave him some perspective on the soldiers who had children of their own that they did not get to see for a year.  His SGT's wife gave birth to their daughter while the SGT was home on R&R in August.  SGT had about ten days with his newborn daughter, then didnt get to see her again, except in emailed pictures, for five months.

Wrapping this little update up:

Our weather forecasters are predicting 'winter mischief' over the next couple of days.  We may get cold rain, we may get sleet, or snow flurries.  They basically have no idea.  Winter mischief is hard to predict in the south.  Give us a good ol' "tornader" and we can tell you just which trailers it is gonna take with it, but frozen precip is a whole 'nother thing.

BoyChild and I are hoping for dry weather on Saturday (warm and sunny would be best, but we will settle for cold and dry) because we are planning a trip to Nashville.  Some friends of ours are doing a house concert Saturday night and we'd like to go up early on Saturday and spend some time downtown and let him show his g/f some of our favorite places to eat and shop before heading out to the concert.  He's been looking forward to this since before he even left Iraq.  He loves Nashville as much as I do.

So .... now it's well over an hour past my regular bedtime, and I'm still wide awake.  I am however going to snuggle down under my electric blanket and try mightily to relax and at least rest, even if I cant sleep.  Hopefully the cough med will wage a little battle with the cortisone, and maybe just maybe, even win.

G'night.  Sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment