Yes, I am my child's own personal GPS system. Well, me and MapQuest.
This afternoon BabyGurl was trying to get home from school (Birmingham Southern) and get on Hwy 280 to get to work. Except the way she was trying to go was the worst way to go tonight. The craziest overpass in the city was right in her path. And it was sleeting and the roads were very icy. This overpass is the first thing in the city to freeze and the last thing to thaw. There were cars stuck on it less than two hours after the sleet started falling. Police have it closed.
So she calls and tells me after an hour she has made it less than 10 miles from school. I get on MapQuest and find alternate routes (with the aid of MapQuest's 'live traffic' feature). I tell her to get off the road she is on, to a side road. This takes her to another Interstate so she can go a little farther, (til the next major overpass) and then she has to get off onto a secondary interstate, and then cross over to the state road she is trying to get onto in the first place. I sent her on a long circuitous route, but got her 'unstuck' from traffic and to work in a mere three hours. It should've been about a 50 minute drive. The last half hour was pretty much clear and she made good time. The first two hours covered what should've taken 20 minutes.
Our weather has been crazy the last couple of months. And they are talking more of this tomorrow night and into Saturday morning. We are supposed to go to Nashville Saturday!! NO SNOW or ICE! PLEASE!
Signed ......
GyPSy Mom.
Oh, and I am also Weather.Mom. BoyChild used to call me all the time to ask me what the weather was going to do that day, when his job was outdoors).
BabyBrother called me from a tree stand last month (yes, a tree stand) and said the wind was picking up and clouds were rolling in and he wondered if it was going to rain. I said "uhm, where exactly are you?" and he told me and I said "you need to get out of the tree NOW! There is a tornado headed toward you NOW!"
I know how "Baby Gurl" felt yesterday. I left work 40 min early and couldn't even get onto hwy 82 to even get TO the bridge to get home. Traffic backed up on every access, main and secondary road. Went way out of the way to the new bridge, with Kate telling me it was already closed. Was the only other option I had at that point- to get there and see if it was closed. Thankfully, it was not closed YET, but very icy. We were able to cross going 10 mph. Finally arrived home about 5:50- my normal time. However, if i had waited iin all tjst traffic my regular route i would have been much later. Oh, well. Spring where are you??
ReplyDeleteSeveral years ago Adam and some of his friends were headed to Arkansas to the football game and he called me when they were stopped to gas up and asked me what the weather was doing where they were, bcause it was looking pretty bad. I asked him where they were so I could check and he said "I don't know,somewhere between Memphis and univ of
Arkansas. Told them to ask inside and I wad pretty sure they could tell them where they were and what was going on with the weather. Well, there were tornados were all around them!!