Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Traditions ... Old & New ....

I'm linking up with Kelly's Korner for her post about Christmas traditions ...

My family has had some traditions that over the years have changed due to family changes (grandparents no longer with us, kids growing up with families of their own).  We used to always go to my Mom's parents for Christmas Eve supper and gift giving.  The last year Granddaddy was alive he was in the hospital and that Christmas Eve we had lunch instead of supper then all plied into (a lot of) cars and went to the hospital.  He was able to come downstairs into the visitor's lobby and open all his gifts and visit with us for a while.

Also, every year Santa would drive around town on the firetruck on Christmas Eve and when we heard him coming we'd all (eleven grandkids) run outside and watch and wave.  Last year I was out and about on Christmas Eve and saw Santa go by on the firetruck and I had to pull over and take a (really blurry) pic of him to text to my cousin (who is way big on tradition, and very sentimental).  She told me later she was laughing and crying all at the same time.

After Mom's mom passed away (12 years ago) we began having Christmas Eve at Mom's (me, my kids, my brother, his kids).  But the past few years my son has worked shift work, and my brother is a firefighter, so we've had dinner as close to Christmas Eve as we could on a day that they were both off. (This year it is actually going to be Christmas Day).

Christmas Day was for Dad's parents.  It was a 'come and go' kind of thing; everyone was not at their house at the same time.  Thanksgiving was the time that Dad's family gathered.  (We still do, at a cousin's house, even though the crowd has dwindled down to only about 25 folks now unless some out-of-state folks show up).  Dad was the (next to) baby of nine kids, so his parents have been gone for over 30 years.

This year, I'm starting a new tradition.  I'm sure the date will rotate but this year it is going to be on Fri Dec 21st.  I'm having my kids and their spouses over for dinner and some visiting time just for us.  I'm going to give them their gifts then, instead of trying to do it over at Mom's as we usually do.  It will be hectic, and will be all about Gabbie this year (and that's fine, she's four, it will be a big day for her), so I  decided to have our own private little Christmas a few days early.  I can't tell you what they're getting, lest they (or a relative) read this and spoil the surprise, but I'll try to remember to take some pics for sharing later.

I have a couple of decorating 'traditions' as well.  Two items of my Nannie's (Mom's mom) have been part of my decor every year since she died.

Her angel tree topper ... and her Rudolph .... 


Next year BoyChild and DIL will have a new baby and I'm sure we'll be starting all kinds of new traditions for him/her as well.   I'm looking forward to getting new ideas from all Kelly's readers!!


1 comment:

  1. I love what you said about traditions evolving. It sounds like you have some fun new ones in store for you and your family this year. Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete